Sumter School District is now accepting screening requests for the REACH 2020 Summer Arts Program.
Sumter School District’s program for students gifted in the arts, REACH, is again offering a summer arts program for students currently in grades 3-11 that have been identified as gifted in Visual Arts, Music (Chorus), or Theatre. Per South Carolina’s guidelines for gifted student identification, students referred for screening for the REACH program will endure a three-step, intensive selection process that includes:
- Request for Screening – Students may be referred by a parent, teacher, administrator, peer, or self. (turned in to school prior to November 22, 2019)
- Initial Screening – Completed at the school level (upon receipt of Request for Screening form-screening window opens November 4th and ends December 13th)
- Final Screening – District level auditions (February 15, 2020)
During the initial screening, teachers are looking for students whose interest and ability demonstrate potential in a specified arts area. Students may be screened in one or all of the three areas. Those who qualify in more than one area will have to choose one area of focus for program participation.
Artistically Gifted and Talented Students….
- Display talent beyond that of their peers in one or more arts areas (Visual Arts, Music, or Theatre).
- Show potential for performing at remarkably high levels of accomplishment when compared to their peers.
- Exhibit high performance capability in intellectual, creative, and/or artistic areas.
- Possess an unusual leadership capacity or excel in specific academic fields.
- Require services or activities not ordinarily provided by the schools.
These outstanding talents may be present in children and youth from all cultural groups, across all economic strata, and in all areas of human endeavor.
If you feel that your child has exceptional talent in one or more of the arts areas and you would like for them to be screened for the REACH 2020 program, please complete the referral form in full and return it to your child’s school prior to November 22, 2019. As you consider requesting screening for your child, please keep the following items in mind:
- Many students who request screening do not meet the criteria under the gifted guidelines.
- Students selected for the REACH program will be expected to participate in three Super Saturday Workshops scheduled for March 21, 2020, April 25, 2020, and May 30, 2020 from 8:30 – 2:30.
- Students are expected to attend the entire summer session, June 8-25, 2020. Summer workshop classes are held 8:30 – 2:30, Monday-Thursday only.
- This is NOT a summer camp. Students will be involved in an intense study in their art area. Only students who are committed to this kind of study should request screening.
- This year’s meeting site is still to be determined. Limited transportation will be available during June only.
Lunch and a snack will be provided daily for Saturday and summer sessions.
If you would like more information concerning the screening and selection process, please contact Heather Clemmons, REACH Program Supervisor for Sumter School District at 803-774-5500, ext. 122.